Butte Local Development Corporation
The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors for conducting the activities of the organization in pursuit of the mission of the Butte Local Development Corporation:
BLDC MISSION STATEMENT
The BLDC mission is to work as the lead economic development agency in the creation and retention of jobs through economic expansion in the Butte-Silver Bow community with a particular emphasis on primary sector job growth.
NECESSARY SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Leadership: Ability to supervise staff and programs; to be a strong leader capable of building consensus, to delegate responsibility effectively while supporting, motivating and empowering staff; strength in problem solving and forging creative solutions; ability to develop and maintain effective partnerships; and to work effectively with a Board of Directors.
Communication: Ability to communicate effectively and clearly in both oral and written format; strong public speaking skills, and ability to communicate the vision for the organization to the community at large, and strength in conveying complex information, both internally and externally.
Financial Management: Fiscal responsibility and the ability to analyze and present financial information, develop and manage budgets, supervise accounting functions, submit grant requests and develop progress reports related to the grants and supervise loan programs.
Business Management: Hiring, training, and supervising staff; supervising and understanding financial matters, including an understanding of accounting principles, and budgeting skills; and organizing and communicating organizational goals, objectives, and priorities including marketing and community outreach.
- Create a positive image and atmosphere about Butte-Silver Bow and the organization that inspires public confidence.
- Create an overall marketing strategy to attract and/or develop new businesses and industries to the Butte Silver Bow area.
- Maintain outside professional contacts to keep informed about the effectiveness of the Corporation, major activities of other such organizations, and major national economic and industrial developments likely to impact the corporation and its constituents in the future.
- Attend and participate in a large variety of community activities in order to establish and expand local networks along with increasing BLDC visibility throughout Butte.
- Assist in the creation of long-range strategic plans as well as the formulation of the Corporation annual work program.
- Undertake special projects identified by the Board of Directors.
- Develop and implement appropriate information, marketing and promotional programs for various audiences.
- Maintain and provide current data and information on Butte Silver Bow to members, community leaders and inquiring parties.
- Work with existing and/or new businesses on technical matters such as business planning, marketing and financing.
- Supervise research activities that may be undertaken in support of task force, committee or board projects.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with the media.
- Motivate and inspire volunteers.
- Take a leadership role in representing the Corporation among its constituents.
- Work closely with locally elected and appointed officials in furthering and facilitating economic development.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with state and federal officials and program offices.
- Prepare and promote needed administrative and legislative agenda items
- Continue to market the area to high-tech companies.
- Continue to promote and educate federal and state government contracting opportunities to local businesses through the PTAC (Procurement Technical Assistance Center) program
- Maintain a strong working relationship with local lending institutions to collaborate on loan opportunities
- South Butte Industrial Park
a. Administer park
b. Market lots in park
c. Acquire additional land in park
d. Seek land and infrastructure financing for future park expansion
- Montana Connections Business Development Park (TIFID or Tax Increment Financing Industrial District)
a. Assist in marketing park as location for heavy industrial projects
b. Assist with financing packages
c. Monitor Tax Increment legislation
d. Package Montana Connections Business Development Park program for potential tenants
- Uptown Area
a. Promote the development of buildings in Historic Uptown Butte through purchase, lease, sale, ownership, or other methods
- Recommend the best course of action for the organization and direct the development of specific plans, programs, and budgets to meet the goals of the Corporation.
- Conduct periodic appraisals of operations and programs of the Corporation and review the results with the Board of Directors.
- Prepare agendas for Board and Committee meetings in consultation with the President or Committee Chair. Ensure appropriate management information and operating data are provided to members.
- Ensure the timely preparation of budgets and financial reports and ensure overall fiscal responsibility and the safeguarding of assets.
- Appoint staff and develop a team to assure a capability to meet Corporation objectives, including suitable back up for the Executive Director.
- Work with the Board of Directors to develop revenue generating activities and membership building.
- Seek and secure diversified revolving loan funds.
- A bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, communication, management or related fields, or equivalent experience required. A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- A minimum of three years of management experience.
- A minimum of five years of experience in economic development.
- Computer literacy including experience with Microsoft Office Suite, QuickBooks, and internet research.
Position requires working in an office and with other employees and clients. It necessitates working at a desk, using a computer, telephone and other devices necessary to accomplish the assignments. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform essential duties. Must reside within Butte-Silver Bow County within 6 months of accepting position.
In compliance with Federal and State Equal Opportunity Laws, qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, or the presence of a non-job related medical condition or handicap.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Salary range: $70,000 – $90,000, depending on qualifications and experience.
- Optional group health, life, dental and vision insurance for employee and dependents.
- Vacation leave of ten (10) days per year initially, thereafter based on years of service.
- Ten (10) paid holidays per year.
- Employer contribution to deferred compensation plan at 6% of pay.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and resume, along with four references to email@example.com. Applicants are encouraged to apply by May 26th, but the search will remain open until filled. Applications must be submitted electronically. A copy of the job description is available on the BLDC website at www.bldc.net.